The Presidency has revealed plans by the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government to put money in the hands of Nigerians It said from next week, a survival fund from the government will be available to potential beneficiaries. Speaking, Laolu Akande, the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President (Office of the Vice President) said this would be realized through active implementation of the Economic Sustainability Plan. Akande said that the government of President Buhari is committed to lifting Nigerians out of poverty and reducing the pains and negative impact of coronavirus on the people. Akande stated this when he appeared on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily. He also repeated it at different times on Fresh FM radio station in Ekiti State, Bond
By Kazeem Ugbodaga The National Association of Resident Doctors, NARD, has called off the nationwide strike it embarked on to press home demands for improved welfare. The doctors began the nationwide strike last Monday. The doctors had demanded immediate payment of the Medical Residency Training funding to all its members as approved in the revised 2020 budget; provision of genuine Group life insurance and death in service benefits for all health workers, among others. But its National President, Dr Aliyu Sokomba said on Thursday that the strike had been called off after reaching agreement with the Federal Government. According to him, discussion continued with the Federal Government on Friday on other issues affecting the resident doctors. The meeting which l...
The directive was issued in a statement by Osagie Ehanire, minister of health, as part of efforts to “mitigate the effect” of the strike by resident doctors across the country. The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) had embarked on a nationwide strike on Monday over the non-payment of their COVID-19 hazard allowance and other demands. Reacting to the situation in a statement on Tuesday, the minister said the strike is ill-timed and ill-advised, given the COVID-19 pandemic. Ehanire reminded the doctors that their primary responsibility is to save lives, adding that it is expected of them to work together to confront COVID-19, “the common enemy”. “We must remember that the primary duty of doctors and all health workers is to save lives. Embarking on a strike in
A volunteer group, Southeast Coronavirus Intervention Network (SCIN) has said that the complacent attitude of some Nigeria leaders have undermined the fight against coronavirus in the country. A passenger's body temperature is being tested at the gate of entry upon arrival at the Murtala International Airport in Lagos, on March 2, 2020. - Nigeria is monitoring 58 people who had contact with an Italian man infected with the new coronavirus, the health minister said Monday, as officials scrambled to stop the disease spreading. Africa's most populous country on Friday confirmed the first case of the virus in sub-Saharan Africa after the patient was diagnosed in the economic hub Lagos. (Photo by BENSON IBEABUCHI / AFP) (Photo by BENSON IBEABUCHI/AFP via Getty Images) This was as the gro
Nigeria on Monday recorded 290 new coronavirus infections, the second lowest daily figure since June 8. Five deaths were recorded in the last 24 hours, pushing the total number of deaths to 950. Monday’s figure is slightly higher than the 288 daily cases recorded exactly one week ago. Nigeria has continued to record cases below 500 for the past two weeks, a sign that the country’s epidemiological curve is heading downwards. The latest figure brings the total number of infections in the country to 46,867, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC). The NCDC in its daily update of the infection on its Twitter handle @NCDCgov said out of a total 46,867 infected persons so far, more than 33,000 have recovered and have been discharged after treatment in the c
The Nigerian Government, on Thursday, approved new working hours for civil servants across the country. The federal civil servants on Grade Level 12 and above would now resume full work hours from 8 am to 4 pm, while the rest were to continue to stay at home. The Coordinator of Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Dr Sani Aliyu, said this on Thursday while speaking on the new changes in the extended phase two of eased lockdown. DAILY POST reports that President Mohammadu Buhari approved the retention of the current phase of National response to COVID-19 for another four weeks with modifications. Aliyu said: “These include maintaining the current nationwide curfew from 10 pm to 4 am. “Maintaining the restrictions on mass gatherings with specific emphasis on protecting vu
President Muhammadu Buhari has directed state governments and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), to enforce the compulsory use of face masks in public places nationwide. This was disclosed by Boss Mustapha, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task force on COVID-19. Mustapha was speaking with journalists during Thursday’s PTF briefing. According to him, “President Buhari also asked the PTF to partner with states and local governments to improve community sensitisation and engagement to step up response to the COVID-19 response. “He also encouraged state governments to collaborate with local government authorities to intensify necessary measures such as contact tracing, grassroots mobilisation and risk communication.
The federal government will release new protocols for the next phase of efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the country by Thursday. This was disclosed by the National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Dr Sani Aliyu, during Monday’s press briefing in Abuja. “I will like to remind us all of the safety guidelines for the eased lockdown phase two, which will continue to be in place until Thursday, August 6, when we will announce a new protocol for the third phase,” Aliyu said. Aliyu also noted that more countries were experiencing a second wave of COVID-19, forcing them back into lockdown. Corroborating Aliyu’s comments, the PTF Chairman and Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, said the new protocols will be releas
President Muhammadu Buhari has donated sixty-seven million naira (N67,000,000) worth of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to aid the fight against COVID-19 in Sao Tome and Principe. The Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, disclosed this on Monday during a briefing by the PTF in Abuja. “I am happy to inform you that as ECOWAS champion in the containment of COVID-19 in the West African sub-region, Mr President Made a donation of 67 million naira worth of PPEs and medical supplies to the government and people of Sao Tome and Principe,” Boss Mustapha told newsmen. This donation follows a request by the government of Sao Tome, seeking aid to help the country effectively manage the coronavirus pandemic which is ravaging the world. Medi
The National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) has warned that malaria deaths could double in Sub-Saharan Africa by the end of 2020 if prevention and treatment interruptions due to COVID-19 continue. The NMEP National Coordinator, Federal Ministry of Health, Dr. Audu Mohammed, who gave the warning, said there had been a reduction in malaria prevalence from 42 per cent to 23 per cent according to an NDHS research in 2018. But he fears that the COVID-19 outbreak has jeopardised the progress made and caused a spike in the 38% reduction of mortality rates already achieved in 2018. He said ‘‘with the onset of the current COVID-19 pandemic the malaria challenge seems to be compounded. A lot still needs to improve, as we are not close to most of the targets we had set out to ac