Shadow

GLOBAL NEWS

COVID- 19: American Economy Regains 1.8m Jobs In July

COVID- 19: American Economy Regains 1.8m Jobs In July

GLOBAL NEWS
The US economy regained 1.8 million jobs in July, a solid but unremarkable result that comes as President Donald Trump prepares for a difficult re-election bid, but economists warn challenges to the pandemic recovery are growing. As COVID-19 cases spiked in several states in recent weeks, new restrictions to contain the virus forced some businesses to shut their doors again, while many have already closed permanently, raising concerns the labor market could take a turn for the worse. Trump’s economic team has also not been able to narrow the gap with Democratic leaders in Congress over a new emergency spending bill to renew aid that has supported consumer spending in the past three months. The unemployment rate fell to 10.2 percent last month from 11.1 percent in June, accord
Russian Court jails 3 young Russians for ‘plotting to overthrow Putin

Russian Court jails 3 young Russians for ‘plotting to overthrow Putin

GLOBAL NEWS
Three young activists have been sentenced to long jail terms for plotting to overthrow President Vladimir Putin in a case that has sparked protests and allegations of police overreach. The young activists identified as Ruslan Kostylenkov, Pyotr Karamzin, and Vyacheslav Kryukov were sentenced by a Moscow court on Thursday. The activists were arrested and detained since 2018 after they were accused of belonging to an anarchist cell called the “New Greatness” that was plotting an uprising against the government. However, the group’s supporters said the case was fabricated by the FSB security service and that agents infiltrated the group, financed operations, and coerced its members into renting office space and creating a charter. Prominent Russian rights group Memorial
“Nigeria is Very Important To Dubai, They Are Not Banned From Dubai” – Official Clarifies

“Nigeria is Very Important To Dubai, They Are Not Banned From Dubai” – Official Clarifies

GLOBAL NEWS
An official from the Dubai Tourism confirmed that it has not banned Nigerians from visiting the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Stella Fubara-Obinwa, its Director Africa, International Operations, made the clarification during a webinar organised by the National Association of Nigeria Travel Agencies (NANTA), themed “Tourism Business Opportunities in Face of New Normal.” Fubara-Obinwa said there was never a time, nor was there any publication, which reported that Nigerians had been banned from visiting the UAE. “I challenge people to show me any publication from the United Arab Emirates which states that Nigerians had been banned from the country. “This is fake news and am not happy with the development from the Nigeria travel agents. “Nigeria is very important to Dub
Lebanon explosion: death toll reaches 100

Lebanon explosion: death toll reaches 100

GLOBAL NEWS
One of the world's biggest-ever peacetime explosions tore through the port in Beirut last night, killing at least 100 people, injuring thousands more and laying waste to a large part of the Lebanese capital. More than 2,750 tons of highly explosive ammonium nitrate, the main ingredient in fertilizer bombs, detonated when a fire apparently sparked by a welder spread to the warehouse where it had been stored for six years.   Apocalyptic scenes saw a thick red-orange mushroom cloud envelop streets surrounding the port, where buildings burned and emergency crews frantically searched the rubble for survivors.  Damaged hospitals were last night creaking under the strain of more than 4,000 casualties wounded by the blast,  which was even heard 125 miles ...
UN Condole With Lebanon After Deadly Explosions

UN Condole With Lebanon After Deadly Explosions

GLOBAL NEWS
UN Secretary-General António Guterres has commiserated with the people and government of Lebanon over Tuesday’s Beirut explosions. No fewer than 70 people died while 2,700 others were injured in the massive blasts at the city’s port, the Minister of Health, Hamad Hassan, said. Officials said the two blasts originated from highly explosive materials stored in a warehouse, although investigations were ongoing to determine the exact cause. The UN chief’s reaction came in a statement by his deputy spokesman, Mr Farhan Haq. “The Secretary-General expresses his deepest condolences to the families of the victims as well as to the people and government of Lebanon following the horrific explosions in Beirut today. “He wishes a speedy recovery to the injured, including seve
SpaceX Brings NASA Astronauts Safely Home In Milestone Mission [PHOTOS]

SpaceX Brings NASA Astronauts Safely Home In Milestone Mission [PHOTOS]

GLOBAL NEWS, TECHNOLOGY
This handout photo released courtesy of NASA shows the SpaceX Crew Dragon Endeavour spacecraft is seen as it lands with NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley onboard in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Pensacola, Florida, on August 2, 2020. NASA/AFP America’s first crewed spaceship to fly to the International Space Station in nearly a decade returned safely to Earth on Sunday, splashing down in the Gulf of Mexico. The mission, carried out jointly by NASA and the private company SpaceX, demonstrated that the United States has the capacity once more to send its astronauts to space and bring them back. The SpaceX Crew Dragon Endeavour splashed into the water off Pensacola, Florida at 2:48 pm (1848 GMT), trailed by its four main parachutes. It was the first wate
Massive Protest Began In Israel Over Corruption In Netanyahu’s Govt

Massive Protest Began In Israel Over Corruption In Netanyahu’s Govt

GLOBAL NEWS
Thousands protested against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu across Israel on Saturday night, demanding his resignation over alleged corruption and the resurgence of coronavirus cases. The protests took place at scores of intersections and bridges, where people held banners accusing Netanyahu of “failure” and calling for his resignation, as well as outside his private residence in the northern town Caesarea. The main event took place outside the prime minister’s official residence in Jerusalem, where organisers said thousands demanded Netanyahu step down. In Tel Aviv, hundreds protested against rising unemployment and the government’s alleged failure to support self-employed people who have lost their livelihoods due to the pandemic, media reports said. Wearing face
I’m Not Dating Bill Gates, We Are Not Lovers – Elon Musk

I’m Not Dating Bill Gates, We Are Not Lovers – Elon Musk

GLOBAL NEWS
SpaceX Chief Executive Officer, Elon Musk, has mocked Microsoft co-founder, Bill Gates. The duo, both billionaires, are lashing out at each other over differing stances on the COVID-19 pandemic. On Thursday, he tweeted: “The rumor that Bill Gates & I are lovers is completely untrue.” His reaction was sequel to Gates’ advise that Elon should focus on cars and rockets. The tech guru told Musk not to involve himself in areas he has no knowledge of. Earlier, Musk spoke against some of the restrictions put in place by governments. The Tesla CEO called California’s stay-at-home order “fascist”. Musk said there are a ridiculous number of false positive COVID-19 tests, in some cases, 50%. He tweeted: “False positives scale linearly with number of tests. This is a
Minister Of Education Sacked Amid Viral Sex Video

Minister Of Education Sacked Amid Viral Sex Video

GLOBAL NEWS
Minister of Education in Zambia, David Mabumba was on Wednesday sacked by the country’s President Edgar Lungu after nude video clips of him went viral on social media. The Minister’s dismissal was contained in a statement from the Presidency, signed by Lungu’s spokesperson Isaac Chipampe. Although no reason was pinpointed for his sack but it may not be unconnected to the viral video of him masturbating. The Minister was seen in the video fondling himself while on live WhatsApp video with a woman. The video has since generated a lot of controversy and debate in the country and around Africa. While the Minister is yet to comment on the video, police in the country are now investigating the circulation. Mabumba has been replaced by Dennis Wanchinga. https://youtu.
Donald Trump gives WHO one-year notice of withdrawal

Donald Trump gives WHO one-year notice of withdrawal

GLOBAL NEWS
Trump, left, tenders one-year notice to withdraw the U.S. from WHO. Tedros, WHO DG on right The Trump administration has officially moved to withdraw the United States from the World Health Organization (WHO), in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic. Multiple reports said the U.S. has submitted its withdrawal notification to the United Nations secretary-general, an official said. Withdrawal requires a year’s notice, so it will not go into effect until July 6, 2021, raising the possibility the decision could be reversed. The formal notification of withdrawal concludes months of threats from the Trump administration to pull the United States out of the WHO, which is affiliated with the United Nations. President Trump has repeatedly assailed the organizatio